Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Brand Wars






VS.




If you work in retail, you talk a lot about "brands".


So, for you laypeople, let me explain:



"A brand is a name, logo, slogan, and/or design scheme associated with a product or service. A brand is a symbolic embodiment of all the information connected to the product and serves to create associations and expectations around it. A brand often includes a logo, fonts, color schemes, symbols, and sound, which may be developed to represent implicit values, ideas, and even personality." - Wikipedia



Many celebrities brand themselves (they become the prodcut that you are buying): Mary Kate and Ashley, Kate Moss, Sarah Jessica, Madge, Britney, Justin, etc.
I'm going somewhere with this, I swear.


As I was browsing for shoes online today, I started thinking about celebrity branding in the fashion world. My conclusion? You can basically judge the value of the celebrity based on their branded product.

For example. I think we can all agree that Jessica Simpson is basically lacking in talent, class, creativity and sophistication. I can prove it! Look at the shoes from the Fall 2007 collection:











What surprises me the most about these shoes is how BORING they are. Don't they look like something you would pick up in the Nine West Outlet? Or the clearance corner at Loehman's? Not even, actually, because they look so cheaply made and tacky. Much like Jessica herself. I rest my case on example 1.




Moving on to example 2. It's safe to say that, despite a few wacky outfits, obnoxious videos and overplayed singles, Gwen Stefani is a generally awesome lady with fantastic and innovative style, right? We all wish we were friends with her and she marches to the beat of her own noise machine. Check out her shoes, under the L.A.M.B label:
















I love these. The top two are the same shoe! It comes with a removable spat. And all of the gold hardware on all of the shoes is 14K gold-plated. I find these to be fresh, youthful and professional all at the same time. And I would cut my hair off to own several pairs of these.
What do you think?














No comments: